Monday, February 29, 2016

Rare Disease Day 2016

Today is Rare Disease Day!

A few basics:

1. A disease or disorder is defined as rare in the USA when it affects fewer than 200,000 Americans at any given time.

2. There are more than 6,800 rare diseases. Altogether, rare diseases affect an estimated 25 million to 30 million Americans.

3. The exact cause for many rare diseases remains unknown. They are known to be largely genetic and rounded out by environmental factors.

4. There has been some progress, but there are no treatments for the vast majority of rare diseases.

5. An up-to-date list of rare diseases can be found here.

There are two rare diseases in particular that have affected me most personally.

I've written about myasthenia gravis before. It's an autoimmune neuromuscular disorder that affects voluntary muscles. Common symptoms can include a drooping eyelid, blurred or double vision, slurred speech, difficulty chewing or swallowing, weakness in the arms and legs, chronic muscle fatigue, and difficulty breathing. There are a few treatments for MG, including surgery and medications (which is what my personal plan has looked like), but no cure. When I was diagnosed, I was 12 and had recently started both puberty and jr. high. Good thing I was already well versed in being an outsider! MG was the first of my countless future diagnoses and will always be dear to my heart.

Speaking of dear to my heart -- the rare disease that devastated my life is Tetralogy of Fallot. Tetralogy of Fallot (teh-TRAHL-ah-jee of fah-LOH) is a set of four congenital heart defects that occurs in 5 of 10,000 babies. There are ways to manage symptoms, but the only way to repair these defects is through open heart surgery. The success rate for this surgery is pretty high, though I can't seem to find a statistic that I understand to prove it. Anyway, I know this because my daughter, Maya, was one of the few who did not survive it in 2002. It was apparently her best hope and has been a success for other "tet" babies I've known.

So! Now that you know there are 25 to 30 million Americans with at least one rare disease, it's safe to say you know at least one of those people personally. 9 Ways to Support People Living with Rare Diseases and Disorders is a good place to start reading.*

*This blog is sooo close to passing 20,000 views. If it does, on this Rare Disease Leap Day, I will imagine Misha Collins tossing confetti over my head and a red velvet cupcake appearing in front of me.

6 comments:

  1. I love this post, and I was absolutely thrilled to see the other links that you published that go along with this topic. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am happy to be a new follower. :)

    Count
    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am jonas kita Dr ASAKASUKU cure me of HSV-2 after i have lost my son. i was
    diagnosed with the herpes type 2 after doing colposcopy. It was extremely
    painful I got them around the inner part of my bum. i visited different
    hospital but they gave me list of drugs like acyclovir, Zovirax, and
    (valacyclovir)Valtrex which is very expensive to suppress symptom outbreak.
    It was more complicated when it was affecting my skin.I desperately look
    for solution browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HSV-2
    and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor ASAKASUKU cured them
    from different virus like, HIV< HPV>HSV. I Was scared because i never
    believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i was
    having no hope of been cured of HERPES. so i decided to contact him on his
    email that was listed on the comment and
    drasakasukuherbalsolutinhome@gmail.com
    drasakasukuherbalsolutionhome@gmail.com OR call him with +2348109543872 ) i
    searched his email on net and i saw a lot of people testifying about his
    goodness. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine
    to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now
    without problem, the sores are gone HERPES result came out negative.
    Contact Dr ASAKASUKU now Via Email:drasakasukuherbalsolutionhome@gmail.com
    and OR call him with +2348109543872 to get all your problem solved and get
    your ex back. i wish every body can contact Dr ASAKASUKU to get all life
    problem solve.
    1)Sickness of any kind Like Stroke
    2)Help to CURE Hepatitis B, HIV/AIDs, CANCER and BIPOLAR, HERPES,WARTS,ACNE.
    3)Divorce, Breakup problem and To Re-unit
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem and Job promotion
    6)To get a good and rich life partner
    7)To Lose at Least 21 lbs of Belly Fat in Just 7 days
    8)Drug Addict and Masturbation

    ReplyDelete
  3. I THOUGHT THE PHYSICIANS SAY NO CURE FOR HIV/AIDS?, I AM TELLING YOU TODAY THAT DR OZI CURE HIV/AIDS WITH HIS HERBAL MEDICINE AND ONCE YOU GET CURED YOU ARE FOREVER CURED IT IS NEVER REVERSABLE.

    MY NAME IS WILSON KITA JOYCE FROM THE UNITED STATE OF AMERICA,I AM USING THIS GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO SAVE LIFE BY SHARING MY TESTIMONY THAT THERE IS A CURE FOR HIV/AIDS BECAUSE I AM A LIVING TESTIMONY,I SUFFERED FOR HIV/AIDS FOR GOOD ONE YEAR AND TWO MONTHS AFTER LOOSING HOPE THAT I CAN NEVER GET THE CURE BEACAUSE THE DOCTORS SAID THERE IS NO CURE FOR IT,BUT THANKS BEEN TO THIS GREAT MAN CALLED DR OZI WHOM I READ A TESTIMONY ABOUT ON HOW HE CURED HIV/AIDS WITH HIS HERBAL MEDICINE,I NEVER BELIEVE THIS BUT I DECIDED TO CONTACT HIM THROUGH THE STATED EMAIL,(droziherbalcurehome@gmail.com) and he send to me a herbal medicine and ask me to drink and bath with the herbal medicine for one 3 weeks but to my greatest surprises, i went for a medical test after two weeks and my status was negetive till today i cant keep sharing this testimony please brothers and sisters there is a cure to hiv/aids, contact this man for what ever you are going through, what ever sickness you are suffering from, like
    (1) CANCER,
    (2) DIABETES,
    (3) HIV&AIDS,
    (4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (5) CANCER,
    (6) IMPOTENCE,
    (7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    (8) DIARRHEA
    (9) ASTHMA
    (10)SIMPLEX HERPES AND GENITAL HERPES
    11) HE ALSO HAVE SPELL TO BRING BACK YOUR EX
    hiv/aids,perkinsons disease, ALS,CANCERS,HERPES. contact him with his email via droziherbalcurehome@gmail.com or whatsapp him through the following contact on +2348060858046

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m giving a testimony about Dr Osemudiamen the great Herbalist man, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my herpes simplex virus, though I went through different website. I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: ‘Many people’s have the herpes simplex virus cure why are people still suffering from it? I thought of it. Then I contacted Dr Osemudiamen via email: drosemudiamenspellhome@gmail.com. I didn’t believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it to me Fed-ex delivery, he gave my details to the FedEx Office, they told me that 2-3 days I will receive the parcel and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 weeks after finishing the medicine, I was tested herpes simplex virus negative. if you are herpes simplex virus patient do me a favor by you contacting him and I assure anyone who is suffering it, your problem will never remain the same again you will be cured. Also Dr Osemudiamen help my sisters husband to cure his HIV/AIDS he was suffering from for the past 3 years. After he cured my herpes simplex virus, then my sister heard about it, she went home to tell her husband about Dr Osemudiamen then her husband emailed him and explained his problem to him. He also prepare herbal medicine and he use fed-ex delivery to sent him the herbal medicine and he instruct him on how he will be using it for 14 days. That on the 15 day of it, he should go and check his self in the hospital and he did as he was instructed by Dr Osemudiamen. To GOD be the glory he was cured of his HIV/AIDS which he was suffering from for the past 3 years thanks to these great man we will ever remain grateful to you Sir indeed might work you did in our families. When you contact him, make sure you tell him that I refer you.. contact him via: drosemudiamenspellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hello everyone.....i'm from USA, I'm here to give my testimony about how i got cure form herpes. i came on this site and i research it of days before i contacted anyone. I was diagnosed with herpes on may 2016 and i refuse to let this take over my life.I'm here to tell you that there is a cure.I'm here to tell you about the great Dr. Odugu who cure me in 7 days if you're looking for a healing he can heal and cure anything he can heal you with his herbal medicine please contact him via email oduguspellcaster@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete