Thursday, June 12, 2014

Social Security Benefits - Not A Cash Cow

It's no secret that some folks out there think that those of us who receive any kind of state or federal assistance must be lazy and/or gaming the system. As someone who has been through the grueling application process (along with a couple of saintly assistants), I can assure you that I am not lazy (I have references!) and it would be *incredibly* difficult to achieve fraudulent benefits. Honestly, doesn't knee-jerk expecting the worst out of people make one unnecessarily tired and irritable?

You'll notice in Table 2 of this snapshot that the average monthly benefit for disabled workers, for instance, is $1145.70/month. That's $13,748.40 per year - just over the 2014 Federal Poverty Guidelines. Some people qualify only at or below the poverty line.

Living in the multiple roommate situation I'm currently in in Olympia, WA, I can make my benefits work. I could never make ends meet in Seattle, which is partly why I had to move. I love Oly, so this ends up working out well for me. I am incredibly grateful to be able to get back from a system I put money into over the course of my working life for just this sort of purpose. I would still much rather be working. (P.S. Hire me.)




3 comments:

  1. Great article, it was very helpful! I just started in this and I'm getting to know it better! Cheers, keep up the good work!

    Money Lenders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Justin! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow it is beautiful this is a very nice blog thank you for sharing

    Debt Consolidation Singapore

    ReplyDelete