Monday, May 26, 2014

Strength In Damage Repairs

Sometimes, people say "I don't know how you do it. You are a strong person."

What I am is stubborn and I like to compete with myself. I am also porous and adaptable and have rips and cracks. Every nook and fracture is a valuable part of me. My inner light pools, seeps, trickles, rises in tendrils, and bursts through them, out into the world. Reciprocity Rapture: I allow the light of the world to shine back in.

I adore the imagery of the lyrics, the sculpture, and the repaired tea cup:

"Ring the bells that still can ring,
Forget your perfect offering,
There is a crack, a crack in everything,
That's how the light gets in."
- Leonard Cohen


Sculpture, "Expansion," by Paige Bradley

"Kintsugi" or "Kintsukuroi" is Japanese for "golden joinery" or "golden repair". It is "the Japanese art form of fixing broken pottery with lacquer resin dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum..." "As a philosophy, it speaks to breakage and repair becoming part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise."


Tea bowl fixed in the Kintsugi method

I am a strong person, in part, because of how I have learned to navigate the damage of life. I also like to tell myself "I told you so!" when I inevitably win.

No comments:

Post a Comment