Friday, April 18, 2014

Conversation: No Need For Fear

Of all the adjectives in all the world, my life cannot be described as boring. It is captivating and complicated and swings from exhilarating to tragic at mind-boggling intervals (not just because I'm bipolar, heh). I have heard that it can sometimes be difficult to know what to say to me based on all of that. Examples include: Your energy is so intense that I'm afraid to approach you; Frankly, disabilities scare me; I have no idea what to say to someone who's lost a child when mine is standing right here; I don't know how so many terrible things could actually happen to one person; etc. Those are all valid feelings and I understand them. In this society, most of us are simply not taught how to navigate other people's difficult times. I've had lots of practice on both sides and I still sometimes feel lost and awkward when it comes to others.

It's true that I don't have a lot of energy to use at any given time, but I am a person who would much rather address important topics than not talk about them at all. Forever ignoring major issues is not my style.

Please don't be afraid to talk to me. Sincerely. About anything. Things have been this way for long enough that I'm an expert wave rider. If you have enough interest in my life to talk about it, why not speak with me directly? I wouldn't keep putting myself out here if I didn't welcome conversation. Through this lens, I've learned myriad life lessons and sharpened my sense of self-awareness. I'm not particularly fragile and there's no need for pity. I'll accept love, though! I love love.

No comments:

Post a Comment