Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Suffocating In A Big Bowl Of Allergens

I was thrilled earlier this week (maybe it was last week) when the fog surrounding my chronically, cripplingly slow brain was lifted with - Benadryl!

Dr. A ran a blood panel that included a "short" allergy test. This turned up all kinds of allergies, some of which I knew about and others I didn't. I already knew about my tree/flower/dog/cat allergies, for instance, but I didn't know that, out of ALL the allergies, I am the MOST allergic (stunningly allergic) to Melora. Sad face. She's 16 and there's no way I'm getting rid of her, I will just take enough Benadryl to kill an elephant every night until she decides to go on safari and then I'll live pet-free. Right!

New thing - food allergies.

Just in time for the holidays, I am now deathly allergic to oranges and walnuts.

I am not-deathly allergic to: corn, cow's milk, egg whites, mustard, peas, peanuts, potatoes, rice, soybeans, and tomatoes.

I truly cannot wait to find out what else I'm allergic to, but that will be from another blood test that happens when the rest of my body has settled down (as much as it ever does) from fighting the boring-to-talk-about things that it's currently fighting and I don't feel like talking about.

There is literally nothing in the house I can eat right now except for celery and dry oat cereal. My "going to the grocery store the day before Thanksgiving" game face has been securely fastened. Try snagging that last box of quinoa and I will throw elbows, motherf*cker!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you know this already, but allergies to food items don't always translate to allergic reactions when eating them. I'm deathly allergic to almonds but can eat them all day without a reaction. It was strange discovering that when I got tested.

    How did they test your allergies? For me it was many little pinpricks up my arm, and checking what caused lumps.

    ~Royalty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I do know. I neglected to write a follow up blog to note the many other allergies and sensitivities it turns out I have. I had blood tests in addition to skin prick tests. My immune system is so compromised, I try not to tempt anaphylaxis!

      Delete